Welcome to the Queens County Fair!
To this Day it remains a genuine Agricultural Fair Held after fall Harvest since the first Ex in 1886.
In 1886 Matilda Fiske Dailey wrote to her brother Samuel in California that "the people of North Queens last summer built a large wooden building where we could hold our aricultural exibitions. it was erected at Caledonia on the same ground where the old Baptist meeting house stood. We held our exhibition the 13th and 14th of October. Supposed to be about 2000 persons present. At one time they counted about 200 teams on the grounds, besides all that were at the stables."
The two-storey wooden building Matilda refers to is shown in the photograph above, taken in 1905, and continues to be used for that purpose a century later. One of the first agricultural exhibitions in Queens County had been held in Harmony in 1880, but 1886 the association purchased permanent quarters in Caledonia for ten dollars. The fair has been held there ever since.In 1935 it became the Queens County Fair, serving the whole county. Today it is one of the few remaining genuine agricultural fairs, as it is held after harvest each September. The letter Matilda wrote and the exhibition season ticket are in the possession of her great-granddaughter Judy Cole of Rosette Road, Westfield. The photograph is courtesy of Freda Smith, South Brookfield. The booth in the picture with the "Band" sign wasused by the Caledonia Citizen's Band to raise funds for its activities.